Friday, July 10, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

How lovely is your dwelling place,
O LORD of hosts!
My soul longs, indeed it faints
for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh sing for joy
to the living God.

So opens Psalm 84. Compare that to the plea my siblings and I whined to our parents. "Do we have to go to church today?" I've heard the same from my own children, and I don't think this experience is unique to my family.

I don't want to press this too much, but I do wonder what separates the experience of the psalmist from so many worshipers. I suppose that in a culture which no longer puts any real pressure on people to attend worship, the fact that so many still attend says that some of them may feel more like the psalmist. But I still wonder if there is something about the way we do worship or construe church that makes the experience something many people can't imagine longing for. What do you think?

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment