Thursday, February 18, 2010

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.

There is a gentleman who comes to our church sanctuary to practice on our pipe organ. Now and then I bump into him and we'll chat for a bit. Yesterday he asked if we were doing anything for Ash Wednesday. I told him about our service, and he responded that a Presbyterian friend of his said that Presbyterians don't do Lent.

The Presbyterian congregations I grew up in "didn't do Lent," but I think that many, if not most, do now. But that is not to say we are always sure what to do with Lent. Personally, I cringe at the stereotype of giving something up for Lent. Lent evolved from an intense period of preparation for converts who would profess their faith during the vigil that led up to Easter. It wasn't about giving things up it was about moving toward something.

Now obviously if I am going to draw closer to God by spending more time in prayer, Bible reading, acts of caring, or some other spiritual practice, I may have to do less of something else such as watching television, but the focus is not on what I give up, but what I take up.

The epistle reading for today speaks of "straining forward" and pressing "on toward the goal..." Maybe this Lent would be a good time for me, and perhaps you, to be a bit more disciplined about those things that draw me closer in relationship with God, that make clearer the call I, and you, have in Christ.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

1 comment:

  1. Things to take up: Praying. I need to communicate more with God. I am doing a lousy job.

    When I pray audibly by myself, I am distracted by my own voice (which I feel is far too deep for a woman's). When I pray audibly in a group however, I take comfort in our collective offering, (even when we do sound slightly robotic).

    When I pray silently by myself, my mind rambles and my thoughts are unfocused. Sometimes it's hard for me to finish a silent prayer, as any little thing can redirect my attention.

    After our Ash Wednesday service, in which we wrote down the things we wished to leave behind this lenten season, I was inspired to begin writing my prayers. I keep pocket-sized Moleskine journals for everything else I write—humorous musings, dreams, quotes, reading responses, etc. Why not start one for my prayers? I'm actually a little disappointed that I did not think of this sooner.

    I hope writing will be a helpful means of guiding my prayers. I will be able to re-read them, while remaining focused. I can review the content of my prayers. Do I praise God? Do I thank God? Do I ask His forgiveness? Do I ask for His help? Do I pray for others or do I pray for myself?

    I just wanted to share. That's all. It was great seeing everyone last night. I'm glad I was able to come for the dinner and service.

    ReplyDelete