Thursday, March 11, 2010

Musings on the Daily Lectionary - Daily Bread

Today's gospel is Mark's account of the feeding of the 5000. At least there were 5000 men, which I assume means there were a great deal more than 5000 folks all told. The several versions of this event are generally well known and well liked stories. They are also the subject of two very different sorts of interpretation. One, quite popular when I was growing up in the Church, spoke of a "miracle of sharing." Inspired by Jesus the crowds began to share the food they had hidden away in robes and knapsacks. And in the end, there was much more than was needed.

But another take on the story insists that Jesus miraculously produces all the food. It is a story about his divinity, they say. Jesus is able to give food to the hungry crowds in the wilderness just as God fed the Israelites with manna during their wilderness wanderings.

I tend to go more with the second interpretation, but I wonder if focusing on the mechanics of the miracle doesn't miss the point somehow. I can believe with all my heart that Jesus miraculously fed the 5000, but if I can't trust Jesus to provide what I truly need, what difference does that make?

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment