Monday, September 13, 2010

Spiritual Hiccups - I'm God, and You're Not

If you've been following the daily readings, you've heard Job complaining about how he has suffered unjustly, demanding a response from God.  You've heard Job's friends insist that Job must have done something to deserve all his misfortune, and he should repent of his misdeeds.  Now finally, God has answered Job, though to my mind, the answer is not terribly satisfactory. 

As today's reading begins, God has already pummeled Job with a barrage of questions.  "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without wisdom?.. Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?"  And it has gone on like this for two chapters when we get to today's reading.  But God does not say that Job's friends were correct.  In fact, God will condemn them and their advice shortly. 

In short, God's answer to Job, even if it is a flight of fancy three chapters long, amounts to, "I am God, and you're not."

I wonder if most faith crises don't struggle right here.  In the face of so much suffering in the world, of so much that surely is at odds with any hoped for Kingdom of God, can we trust that God is indeed God, much less that God is good?  When we judge God's apparent willingness to tolerate evil and suffering, can we be satisfied with, "I am God and you're not," as Job was? 

In the end, Job's acceptance rests on the fact that God does indeed show Godself.  I think I could use a little of that about now.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment