Thursday, October 14, 2010

Spiritual Hiccups - Self Denial

Self denial is not very popular in our culture.  If you want proof, just look at the obesity epidemic in this country.  Or look at how over-scheduled our children are.  We're terrified they'll miss out on something if we don't have them do every possible activity, don't take advantage of every enrichment opportunity. Why would we deny them anything?



So what are we to do with Jesus' words from today's gospel?  "Then he said to them all, 'If any want to become my followers,  let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who  lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it profit  them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?' "




I'm not terribly good at self denial.  I measure most things by whether or not they please me, satisfy me, make me feel better, and so on.  I want the same things a lot of people want: to be successful, to make a little more money, to have nice things, maybe get a bigger TV, and the latest smart-phone  Why would I deny myself any of those things?

I've been asking myself lately, "What would I give up in order to live more faithfully with God?  What would I voluntarily let go of?"  And I'm not talking about any self-improvement project such as giving up sweets so I can lose a few pounds.  I'm talking about what I would give up for no personal gain other than to use that time or money or energy for the work of the Kingdom.

I should add that asking myself these questions makes me squirm a bit.  But sometimes it opens my eyes to possibilities I've never seen before.

Click her to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment