Friday, December 3, 2010

Spiritual Hiccups - Coins in the Kettle

It's the time of year when Salvation Army kettles start to show up at stores and malls.  If I've got some change in my pocket, I'll drop a little in as I leave the store, but if all I have is a $20 bill, probably not.  And that reminds me of a story I heard long ago about a preacher from Alabama know as Brother Bryan.  Bryan was a fixture in Birmingham in the early 1900s as well as an advocate for the poor and homeless.  Though pastor at Third Presbyterian from seminary graduation until retirement, he apparently thought of himself as pastor to the entire town.

On one occasion Bryan engaged a fellow - not a church member - in a discussion about the spiritual discipline of tithing.  He explained to the man that tithing meant setting aside the first ten percent of his income to God.  At this point the man responded, "Oh, I could never do that.  I'm wealthy and make a lot of money.  I could never afford to give away ten percent of that." 

Brother Bryan said, "I think we need to pray about this."  He proceeded to look up to heaven and cry out, "Cut him down, Lord, cut him down!  Reduce this man's income so he can afford to tithe." 

The object of Brother Bryan's prayer seems to be the flip side of Jesus' comments about the widow who put her two coins in the Temple treasury.  The more we have, the more protective we become of what we have, and the more difficult it becomes to part with significant portions of it.  And I think this raises questions about what makes for a meaningful and full life.  Most of us are fully acculturated to the notion that happiness and contentment comes from having a bit more.  But much of what Jesus says indicates the opposite.

I wrestle with this in my own life.  I have things that I want, that I would like to have.  Are these the "bit more" that I think will make me happy?  Where is the line that, once crossed, tends to make me more and more protective of what I have so that I can no longer be truly generous with God and others?  At what point does more become a curse rather than a blessing?  Is there such a line or is it more a matter of heart and attitude?

I won't suggest that Salvation Army kettles are the best measure of one's generosity.  Some very generous people may have good reasons to prefer other charities.  But seeing a Salvation Army kettle can still serve as a kind of check, a way to reflect on where I am with regards to what Jesus says about full, abundant, and meaningful life.

Click to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

1 comment:

  1. According to scripture, the tithe was never the first part of anything. God defined His tithe as a tenth of the crops (not the first tenth) and every tenth animal in herds and flocks (the last one out of ten, not the first one) raised on the Holy land. Then God commanded in Numbers 18 to take His tithe to the Levites.

    Show me scripture where God ever commanded anyone to to tithe on their income. Show me in scripture where God ever gave any pastor or church permission to receive His gifts.

    ReplyDelete