Monday, November 14, 2011

Spiritual Hiccups - Mountaintop Experience

If you're the religious or spiritual sort, you likely cherish mountaintop experiences.  I know I do.  Those moments when God's presence is vivid and God's will for me clear are touchstones in my faith walk.  Recalling them sometimes can keep me going in those all too frequent times when God's presence is less vivid and God's will less clear.  And sometimes I would like to reconnect to such moments, especially if I'm in something of a spiritual dry spell.

Such a desire is natural, but it can have its pitfalls.  It can long for religious/spiritual experience for the sake of that experience.  I take it that Peter's desire to memorialize the mountaintop experience reported in today's gospel is something along those lines, plans for a physical connection to that moment that would allow him to reconnect with the unbelievable vision he has just seen.  But his plans are interrupted by the divine voice which commands Peter (and us?), "Listen to him!" that is to Jesus.

And so I find myself reflecting on the place of religious experience this morning.  I cannot imagine a faith of much consequence without some such experience.  But I also have met a few people who seem to be addicted to such experiences, who spend much of their time cultivating them.  (Some of the more negative stereotypes about "spirituality" are related to such folks.

In his devotion for today, Father Richard Rohr says this.  "When you see people going to church and becoming smaller instead of larger, you have every reason to question whether the practices, sermons, sacraments, or liturgies are opening them to an authentic God experience."  I suspect the same can be said of attempts to cultivate religious experience simply for its own sake.  Such experience is meant to enlarge us so that we go deeper into relationship with God as well as with those around us.

Sometimes I just want my "God fix."  Thankfully, Jesus usually finds a way to draw me out of such self centered spirituality.  Jesus, help me listen for your voice, calling me to my vocation in the valley.

Click to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment