Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Spiritual Hiccups - A New Song?

The Daily Lectionary sometimes seems to use the same Psalms over and over.  And so I don't always read them as closely as I should.  Being the product of Western culture and education, I tend to read for information, and if I know a psalm fairly well, what new information will I get?

There is certainly nothing wrong with reading the Bible for information, but that is hardly the only way to read it.  In fact, Scripture often speaks powerfully when we listen in a very different mode.  That happened to me today, though I can't say it was because I was being particularly attentive, doing lectio divina, or engaged in any other spiritual practice.  I was rushing through the morning psalms, but nonetheless, a phrase struck me: "a new song."

I've heard and read that phrase countless times, but I'm not sure that it ever impacted me the way it did this morning.  Perhaps the time of year helped, along with reading Hannah's song in the Old Testament reading.  That song seems to be a model for Mary's song which follows on the heels of today's gospel reading.  Those are both new songs, at least in the sense that they describe something new.

A new song.  New songs are not a big part of this time of year.  Even in contemporary worship services where people rarely sing any song more that 20 years old, worshipers want traditional carols at Christmas.  That's fine with me.  I love singing Silent Night, Joy to the World, and O Little Town of Bethlehem.  But I wonder if our celebration of Christmas sometimes fails to leave much room for something new.  It looks back and remembers.  But does it look forward to the new thing that Jesus' birth heralds? 

Amidst all the warmth and nostalgia of Christmas, I wonder if we don't need to add another tradition, a tradition of a new song.  Perhaps we could write some new verses to an old favorite and add call to discipleship in our Christmas services.  Regardless, what if every Christmas Eve Service included something that asked us to turn our gaze forward, to look for God's new heaven and new earth, and to join in the work of that coming reign of God?  What if one of our special Christmas traditions was a renewal of hope, a hope rooted in a vision of God's future? 

Sing to the LORD a new song, one like Hannah and Mary sang. 

Click to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment