Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Goodbye letter to Boulevard Presbyterian


February 6, 2012

Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,

Yesterday at a congregational meeting, Falls Church Presbyterian Church in Falls Church, VA voted to call me as their next pastor.  I have accepted their call and will begin my ministry there April 10.  I am excited about this new opportunity, but deeply saddened at the thought of saying goodbye to all of you at Boulevard.  The excitement of a new call is accompanied by a deep sense of loss, but Shawn and I have spent a great deal of time in prayer and conversation trying to discern just what it is God has planned for us and for Boulevard.  And we both came to the conclusion that God is calling all of us to something new. 

It does not seem that long to me, but we came to Boulevard over 11 years ago, when Kendrick was in middle school and Emma in elementary.  That means that I have spent the vast majority of my 16 years as a pastor here at BPC.  My understanding of what it means to be a pastor has largely been forged through my relationship with you, and for that I am profoundly grateful.  We have been through our share of ups and downs, good and bad, and I have a great love and admiration for this remarkable faith community.  It will be very hard to leave.

But at the same time, I am convinced that my call to a new congregation is also a call for Boulevard.  God must have someone in mind who possesses different gifts and strengths, ones better suited to help lead this congregation into the future.  And so along with sadness, I also feel great confidence that God has plans for you.

There are many leaders of deep faith in this congregation who will work hard and listen carefully for the Spirit’s guidance during this time.  Still, I’m sure there will be anxieties as you move into the unknown.  And I will work with Session and Presbytery prior to my departure sometime in mid-March to help things go as smoothly as possible, making arrangements to fill the pulpit, insure ongoing pastoral care, moderate the Session, and so on.  These temporary arrangements will give Boulevard’s leaders time to find the right interim pastor, after which you will begin the process of searching for and calling that new pastor God has in mind.

You will be in my prayers all that time.  Boulevard will always have a special place in my heart, and I am thankful that Shawn and I will have plenty of time for personal goodbyes.  Thank you again for the privilege of serving you.  I pray that God’s love and grace will wash over you and keep you secure in the knowledge that Jesus is with you every step of the way.

Love and peace in Christ,



James Sledge

4 comments:

  1. James,

    What a blessing for you and Shawn. You came in at a rough time in the life of BPC. And, in some cases, given a rough way to go. However, your faithfulness and patience set a beautiful example for many. I am sorry to see you leave Ohio, but am confident you'll do many wonderful things in VA. Many heartfelt congratulations to you and Shawn.
    -Michelle Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I have so appreciated your support for COMPASS over the years. I'm confident that you will find (or create) such programs in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael and Michelle,
    Thank you for your kind words. We are excited about heading to Falls Church but very saddened at the thought of leaving here. It's been a fun ride over the last eleven years.

    ReplyDelete