Monday, December 15, 2014

Multi-Directional Jesus

For this very reason, you must make every effort to support your faith with goodness, and goodness with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with endurance, and endurance with godliness, and godliness with mutual affection, and mutual affection with love. 2 Peter 1:5-7

Unlike some of my colleagues, and even a few church members, I've never felt any animosity toward those people who show up in the sanctuary on Christmas Eve but rarely at any other time. True, I'd be thrilled if they became active in the worship and ministry of our congregation, but I see no reason to be angry over their casual relationship with us. At least they feel some sort of pull toward God. That seems to me a good thing.

Jesus always seemed very charitable toward the crowds who showed up when he was around. The only thing close to a negative is his sometimes feeling sorry for them, viewing them as sheep without a shepherd. On the other hand, Jesus could get irate toward those who were supposed to be shepherds. Makes me wonder sometimes what sort of words Jesus might have for us pastors and church leaders.

Jesus' harshest critiques are leveled at religious leaders. And the problem wasn't that they were Jewish. Jesus was also Jewish, after all. The problems were elsewhere.

Jesus clearly thought that the religious leaders of his day had gotten off track. They had focused on things that were not central, which seems to be a perennial problem for the spiritual life. When I read the list of things that give support to faith found in today's reading from 2 Peter, I found myself contrasting this advice with religious voices that get loud this time of year. I think of all the animosity and bitterness I see and hear from people who want to make sure we "Keep Christ in Christmas," and I wonder about any hint of self-control, mutual affection, and love.

I also wonder about the curious companions to religion in America. Religion and guns, religion and the military, religion and discrimination toward those who are different, religion and conspicuous consumption, religion and torture; the list is as long as it is strange.

One of the reasons that the current pope enjoys such popularity is that he speaks for faith in a manner that seems to cohere with words like those in 2 Peter and those of Jesus. But why is it that religion so often ends up looking like it's at odds with Jesus and Peter and Paul?

Let me be quick to recognize that I'm dealing in stereotypes here. There are a great many Christians who don't run around using faith to justify hate or get mad at people who wish them "Happy Holidays." But to a degree, this only makes my consternation greater. How is it that people who claim to follow Jesus can end up on opposing sides of so many issues? Are we that unclear on what Jesus commanded us to do? Are we that confused about what the Kingdom of God is supposed to look like?

I think that we often are confused. We've picked up assumptions and notions of what faith is, but we've not necessarily rooted this in much knowledge of Jesus' or the first apostles' teachings. We've often assumed that how we do church is somehow what we're supposed to do. I've occasionally asked congregational leaders and members what it means to be the Church, and they sometimes look at me like I'm crazy. If I press, they struggle and say something like, "You know, be a church. Believe in God and do some good stuff."

Believe in God and do some good stuff. That leaves room for almost endless variety. It's also hard to square with Jesus' own words in the Great Commission. "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them... and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you."

Are there really infinite versions of Jesus from which to choose? Or do we who are church leaders need to get serious about the work Jesus gave us to do?

Click to learn more about the lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment