Sunday, January 28, 2018

Sermon: LIfe Changing Words

Mark 1:21-28
Life Changing Words
James Sledge                                                                                       January 28, 2018

I’ve been delivering Sunday sermons for over twenty years now. Some people like them; some don’t. Now and then a sermon may touch folks, and I’ll hear more comments than usual. Now and then one touches a nerve ,and I hear more complaints than usual. But if I ever had any illusions to the contrary, one thing I’ve learned over these twenty plus years is that preaching has limited power actually to change people.
Even when I preach a sermon that folks love, it doesn’t mean that it makes a great difference in their lives. It has its moment, then it evaporates. Other pastors tell me much the same. We have a scant examples of a sermon making a big difference in someone’s life.
Perhaps it wasn’t always so. A word from the pulpit likely carried more weight and influence long ago, had more of “Thus sayeth the Lord” quality to it. But as individualism grew stronger and trust in institutions grew weaker, messages from the pulpit were taken with a grain of salt. People need to be convinced.
In one church I served there was a member who would often say to me, “I enjoyed the lecture today.” He meant it as a compliment, but I suspect the only authority my “lecture” had was found in how good an argument it made. It had no intrinsic authority because it came from a pastor or was based in Scripture.
The Bible itself has suffered a similar fate. People will accept what it says if it makes sense to them, if it seems reasonable, but it isn’t assumed to be correct, true, or life-giving just because it’s the Bible.

When Jesus begins his ministry, teaching at the Capernaum synagogue, Mark’s gospel tells of the people’s reaction. They were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
Not as the scribes… That likely doesn’t mean what many think it does. It’s not a put down of the scribes but rather a statement about Jesus, about the inherent power in his words. It is the same power seen just a few verses earlier when Jesus happens upon some fishermen and says, “Follow me,” and they drop everything and go after him.
The term scribe is a little misleading, sounding clerical or administrative. But these scribes are doctors of the Law, overseers of the legal system based on the law of Moses. There is nothing comparable in our world with its secular legal system. But in Israel’s system based on Torah, the first five books of our Old Testament, scribes might be thought of as part judge, part seminary professor, people of great standing, education, and esteem.
These scribes knew their scripture. They could make sense of it and explain it as well as the best pastor, and Mark’s gospel is not saying otherwise. It is saying that Jesus’ teaching is something different. It is a word that can even heal people.
Technically what happens in our gospel is an exorcism, but if it happened today, we would say that Jesus cured a man with serious mental illness. He does so simply by speaking. Perhaps we think of this as something different from the teaching that Jesus had been doing earlier, but our reading doesn’t. The people say, “What is this? A new teaching — with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.”
_____________________________________________________________________________
Next to preaching, my second favorite thing about being a pastor is teaching. Sometimes a class I’m leading goes really well. People seem to enjoy it and learn something. At times they may even feel that their faith has deepened. But never in my wildest dreams would I expect my teaching to cure anyone. As with preaching, my teaching doesn’t have that sort of authority. Neither have power to heal, to make new and transform.
Perhaps in the very best class or the finest sermon, someone may feel a stirring deep inside. Perhaps on occasion someone might feel moved enough to do something in response. But no one ever got well from being in a class I taught or hearing one of my sermons. No matter how well I might explain something or how stirring a sermon might be, that just doesn’t happen. It didn’t happen for the scribes either, but it did for Jesus.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Many years ago, long before I ever thought about going to seminary, I was a volunteer in my church’s youth program. Once, while a chaperone on a ski trip, the youth director engaged us all in a late-night discussion about faith. I don’t recall much detail, but at some point the youth were asked whether or not they would go to some desolate, dangerous place if they felt Jesus was calling them to go.
I don’t think anyone said yes. They all said something like, “Probably not. I’m getting ready for college and I’ve got big plans for my life. I’d  have to tell Jesus, ‘No.’ ”
It didn’t register then, but now I realize that these youth had never met Jesus, never encountered  him any real sense. They knew a little about him, even knew they were supposed to do what he said, but they didn’t know him.
I wish I had been smart enough to have asked those youth this follow-up question. “If you fell madly in love with someone, and that person told you they were moving to a desolate, dangerous place, would you go with them?” I have a feeling that at least some of those youth would have answered this question differently.
Falling in love has a certain power. I don’t know that it ever cured anyone of an illness, but it certainly impacts people, changes them, causes them to do things they would never have done before. In love has power and authority over us. It’s true that intimate relationships need more than in love to work over the long  haul, but without it, people are unlikely to give themselves deeply and wholeheartedly to another.
Actually encountering Jesus is something even bigger than in love. Mark’s gospel insists that to meet Jesus, to encounter his teaching, is to meet the power of God, the word of God that speaks creation into existence, that heals and makes new. No wonder it was so different from the scribes.
Have you met Jesus? Have you encountered his power and authority, the presence of God he bears into the world? Or have you just heard about him from preachers or other scribes?
I think the popularity of spirituality, meditation, and such in our day arises, in part, from a realization that something is missing in the institutional church. There is lots of information, but there is not a lot of experience, not a lot of divine presence. There are good, appropriate explanations about the meaning of scripture, but not much in love.
Yet our faith insists that there can be, that there should be. By the power of the Holy Spirit, Christ can dwell in us. We can find ourselves “in Christ” as the Apostle Paul wrote. He said, If anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!
O Christ, come to us now. Speak to us; dwell in us; heal us; make us new.

No comments:

Post a Comment