Sunday, September 29, 2019

Sermon: Vision Problems

Luke 16:19-31
Vision Problems
James Sledge                                                                           September 29, 2019

Early on during the sabbatical I took over the summer, I camped at Big Bend National Park, in west Texas, for several days. One afternoon, I decided to check out a hiking trail right by my campsite. As I walked along I came around a curve with a five-foot-high, rock, retaining wall. And there, stretched out on the rocks, was a rattlesnake.
He seemed oblivious to me. I got quite close to take some pictures, but he remained motionless. I was a little disappointed that he didn’t shake his rattle, but I didn’t want to provoke or bother him too much, so I went on my way.
As I continued on, I wondered about someone on the trail who was not paying much attention. How easy might it be to put a hand on that wall for support, right where my rattlesnake friend was sunning himself? And so I alerted any hikers I met along the way.
 Have you ever thought about the things we see and the things we miss? As a motorcyclist, I’m keenly aware of other motorcycles. I can scarcely recall a time when I was suddenly startled or surprised by the presence of a motorcycle I had not previously noticed.
Yet all too often, motorcyclists are injured or killed by a driver who never saw them. I’ve read of accidents where the driver says over and over to the police, “I never saw him. I never saw him.” For some people, motorcycles seem to be nearly invisible.
What things do you see or notice? What things do you miss? Are there things that are invisible to you?
Being poor can make someone nearly invisible. Or maybe that has it backwards. Perhaps it’s that having wealth can make one blind. Back when David Letterman was still hosting the Late Show on CBS, a prominent politician who’d grown up in a wealthy family was a guest. During a commercial break, a woman who worked for the show came out to go over something with Letterman. As she leaned over his desk, this politician reached out, grabbed the hem of her long sweater, and proceeded to clean his glasses with it. It was such an odd scene that Letterman showed a clip of it the next night.
I doubt there was any malice or ill intent by this politician. He simply did not see a person. He saw something he could use to clean his glasses. Perhaps this is why Jesus so often speaks of money as a curse rather than a blessing. It can cause such blindness.

Just prior to the parable we heard this morning, Jesus has said, “You cannot serve God and wealth.”  The Pharisees, described by the gospel writer as “lovers of money,” ridicule Jesus for this statement, and today’s parable is part of his response to them.
The main characters in the parable, a fabulously rich man and a poor, homeless man, were drawn from daily life in Palestine, but they are still regular features of our world. There is a huge oddity in the story, however, something quite backwards from the real world. The poor, homeless man is identified by name, while the rich man is anonymous.
I suspect that this unnamed rich man never really noticed Lazarus lying outside his gate. He passed him every day, but he didn’t really see him. I don’t think the rich man was a terrible person. At the end of the story, he’s concerned about his brothers and wants to keep them from making the same mistakes he did. But his wealth has cursed him, blinded him to people like Lazarus. As a Jew he had a religious duty to help the poor, but he was a busy man with important things on his mind. Lazarus was just unnoticed, background noise.
In Luke’s gospel, Jesus has already taught his disciples about the curse of wealth. In the Sermon on the Plain, which roughly parallels the better known Sermon on the Mount in Matthew, Jesus says, “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours in the kingdom of God… But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.”  In the parable we heard today, Jesus further explains the woe or curse of wealth. It can make one blind to the very things God cares most deeply about, to the very ones to whom Jesus brings good news.
What are the places where our wealth, our privilege, the many advantages that most of us enjoy, have blinded us and perhaps put us on the wrong side of Jesus’ parable? 
_____________________________________________________________________________
Perhaps you’ve heard stories about a young child whose disruptive behavior in the classroom stopped when he was fitted with glasses. It is all too common for children as late as middle school to have undiagnosed vision problems, sometimes problems that are no longer correctable because they were ignored for so long. I don’t suppose that anyone wants to find out that their vision needs to be fixed. I wish I could see like I could when I was younger and didn’t need contacts or glasses. I certainly didn’t want to have cataract surgery, but I am still grateful that my problems can be diagnosed and corrected.
The vision problems suffered by the rich man in Jesus’ parable, that politician cleaning his glasses, or us who are oblivious to all the advantages we receive from white privilege, wealth, having easy access to good education and healthcare, and so on, are not problems that an optometrist can diagnose. But there are ways to detect such problem.
A reliable exam for this sort of spiritual blindness involves looking at your bank statement, checkbook, credit card bills, and calendar. That is because where you spend your money and allot your time provides a good assessment of where your gaze if focused, of where you’ve set your priorities.
We all have necessities. We all need food, shelter, transportation, and other items, although most of us are prone to confuse wants with necessities. Many of us must spend a fair amount of our time working or attending school. But beyond time at work or school, beyond necessities, what do your Amazon orders, your bank statements, your calendar, your debit cards, your payment apps say about what has captured your gaze? And what do they say about what has been crowded out of your field of vision?
_____________________________________________________________________________
One of the many wise and quotable statements by the late Martin Luther King, Jr. is this. “Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'” Dr. King’s words are profoundly Christ-shaped. But we live in a consumer culture that works diligently to shape and form us along different lines. It encourages a kind of spiritual myopathy that often struggles to see beyond one’s own wants and needs. In the most extreme cases it says, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What more do I need? What more can I get?”
When you examine your spiritual vision, what problems do you find? I dare say it is nearly impossible to live in our culture without it damaging our vision to some degree. But perhaps an even more pressing question might be, “Dare we trust the good news that Jesus has the cure to what ails us?”

All praise and glory to the God who comes to us in Jesus to show us the way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment