Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary


"Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also." So says Jesus in today's reading from John 12. These words come as Jesus speaks of his "hour" being at hand, referring to his impending death on the cross. But his words also speak to the larger issue of where Jesus is to be found, not seeking his own comfort or benefit, but doing God's will, wherever that may lead.

During Sunday worship, I have a somewhat different perspective than most of the folks because we face in different directions. And on one Sunday, I watched as homeless gentleman came into the narthex while we worshiped . (Windows along the back wall of the sanctuary give me a good view of this area.) This man had barely gotten into the narthex when an usher came up beside him and gently, but firmly, ushered him out of my view and presumably out of the building. I later learned that the ushered assumed the man was looking for some assistance and told him to come back at some other time.

Now this usher meant well. He was generous in his giving to the church's mission, but thought this gentleman has chosen an inappropriate time. But I can't help but wonder about whether our congregation was "where Jesus is" at that moment. I would never denigrate the central place of worship in the life of faith, but I wonder if our church buildings don't sometimes become fortresses
, insulating us from the very people and situations we are called to serve.

"Where I am, there will my servant be also." What does that look like for me? What does that look like for you, and for your congregation?

(Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment