Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary


As Paul comes near the end of his letter to the Philippian congregation, he writes, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Oh if only I could embrace these words as a way of life. But my gentleness is often hidden. I worry about many things. And I find it difficult simply
to trust in God's providence. At times, however, "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding," does sweep over me. And then it seems that it might just be possible to follow Paul's other instructions.

As we draw near to Easter, and the impossible story of the resurrection, perhaps the power of resurrection, of the impossible, may draw me once more to what God can do, to the peace God can give, to the life that is possible in Christ.

(Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment