Monday, June 8, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Psalm 62 begins, "For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken." The exact same lines repeat again in the middle of the psalm, one clearly written from a place of distress.

I suppose that Jesus could easily have leaned on this Psalm as he moved toward Jerusalem and what he knew awaited him there. In today's reading from Luke, Jesus' disciples and companions do not understand what is going on and, presumably, are of little support and comfort to him. Yet he "set his face to go to Jerusalem," as Luke says in 9:51, and he never wavers. God alone is his rock and he is never shaken.

Oh if only I could do the same. I trust and hope in God, but I put my hope and trust in a lot of other things, too. My happiness, my sense of fulfillment, my sense of well being, and my sense of security are often more dependent on the economy, events at the church, the ups and down of family life, worries about the environment, and many more. Oh that all my worries were swallowed up by the certainty of God as my rock, a security that could not let me be shaken.

By nature, I tend to be a perfectionist and a worrier. And I think that both sometimes work at odds with faith. My perfectionism puts too much faith in me, and my worrying too little in God. God, how about helping me tone down both.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment