Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spiritual Hiccups - Who Do You Think You Are?

The gospel reading today continues the story of Jesus' healing of a man born blind.  The religious authorities are trying to figure our just what has happened.  More to the point, they are trying to prove that nothing happened.  I can't be too hard on them, though.  If I heard that a preacher had just miraculously healed a blind person, I would assume that someone was pulling a fast one.  It was a trick.  The person was probably never blind to begin with.  It was all an act, something Earnest Angley would do.

The religious authorities think the same.  They find the man's parents, hoping they will say the man is not really their son, but to no avail.  Frustrated, they bring the blind man back before them.  Surely there is some explanation for this without it being that Jesus wields divine power.

But the formerly blind man won't cooperate with them.  He not only won't change his story, but he points out the obvious problem with their logic.  How can they insist that Jesus is a sinner when God clearly has granted him the power to heal the blind?  But authorities rarely take well to having their errors pointed out to them, especially be those of lesser stature than themselves.  And in a huff, they throw out the ex-blind man.

When you've worked hard at being good at your religion; when you've studied and gone to school so that you get a good grasp of your faith's teachings and doctrines, it is easy to dismiss the thoughts of those who don't take the faith as seriously as you do.  And if they are so bold as to try to correct you, your insulted ego may not want to take that sitting down.

I've said before, and I'll say it again, I don't for a moment want to get rid of or even to belittle theology and doctrine.  I do not think it possible to be a follower of Jesus without some particular way of following Jesus.  And theology and doctrine have the distinct advantage of having been debated and discussed for many centuries, of being the product of a religious community's best, faithful attempts to define what it means to live a life in Christ.  Nevertheless, we do not worship a doctrine or theology, nor do we serve them.  They are helpful only insomuch as they assist us in faithfully living together as disciples.

So how do I know where my theology -- whether it is finely crafted Church doctrine honed over the centuries or a personal understanding of God that I just happen to have -- helps me live faithfully, and where it gets in the way?  I don't have an easy answer, but I have realized over the years that whenever my ego gets involved, and especially if my ego starts to take offense, I had best be on my guard.

Click to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment