Monday, August 22, 2011

Spiritual Hiccups - Generation to Generation

Today's psalm speaks of one generation lauding God's works to another. That makes perfect sense. Generations generally try to pass down what they deem important to the next. Children more often than not learn the things that really matter to their parents. In my suburban neighborhood, it is almost unheard of for a child not to attend college. A college education is simply expected and a child has to really go against the grain to go into the workforce straight out of high school.

The parents I know wouldn't dream of allowing their children to drop out of school at age 16. Many require their children to participate in sports or other extra curricular activities. But when it comes to faith, many parents I know, even ones who are very active in church life, leave say that issues related to faith are a personal choice that they leave to the children. The age when they allow children to decide for themselves about faith participation varies, but I often see it as young as 10 or 11.

Now obviously the time comes in every child's life when religious participation becomes his or her choice. But I wonder what it says about the faith of previous generations that so many do so little to pass that faith down. In fact, I'm not so much arguing for more forced attendance at Sunday School as I'm wondering about how insignificant faith must be in many of our lives based on how little we attempt to pass it on.

When I look at some of my own failings at handing down the faith, it doesn't so much cause me to question my parenting as it calls me to carefully consider how central faith is to my own life. What about yours?

Click to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I think it's hard to switch gears from keeping up with the Joneses, to saying "Our family is different because we are Christian." My children are still young, so they are not feeling the pull of peer pressure, but I sent the oldest to Kindergarten this week and it's beginning already. He sees that other kid's snacks have sugar, and their backpacks have TV characters and suddenly we're the odd ones. In our circle of friends we feel normal not eating junk food or watching TV, but now I have to explain to my him "We're different because we choose to be healthy." It's hard to stand up for things, but I pray that it will empower him to stand up and be his own genuine self someday, even if that involves different choices than mine, and demand something more out of life than our materialistic culture can offer. We are strangers here. It's uncomfortable, but I hope they can get used to it.

    ReplyDelete