Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sermon: I Come Bearing Gifts, says the Spirit

1 Corinthians 12:1-11
I Come Bringing Gifts, says the Spirit
James Sledge                                                                                       January 17, 2016

When I was in high school, I briefly went out with a girl whose religious background was a bit more fundamentalist and Pentecostal than mine. At first I found the differences novel and even exciting. Raised a staid Presbyterian, a bit of religious enthusiasm was a refreshing change of pace. But eventually the novelty wore off for me, in part because of episodes like this one I’m going to share.
We once attended a late night worship service. I can’t recall exactly what the occasion was, but the service featured the Lord’s Supper with a twist I’d never encountered. We came forward to receive communion, but not by rows. The pastor told us to wait until we felt the presence of God, until the Spirit urged us to come forward.
I waited. I hoped for some tug on my heart, some stirring in my soul that would draw me to the table. But as time passed, and as I heard people moving around me, I began to check on other folks’ progress. I was in no rush, but as more and more people went forward and no spiritual fire, or even warmth, came over me, I began to worry. 
I waited some more. I was a novice at this and wasn’t overly clear on just how it was supposed to work. I increased my concentration and tried to heighten my inner attentiveness. But another glance made it clear I was in danger of being the very last person to go forward, and so I got up and went to the table.
Afterwards, I wondered about all those who went to the table ahead of me. Were they tuned to a divine frequency that I did not know how to access, or was it something else? I wondered how many people went forward for the same reason I did, because they didn’t want to be left out?
I was suspicious that there had to be a great deal of the latter, and I think the episode left me with a fair amount of skepticism, even cynicism regarding spiritual experience. Better to stick with a faith that could be worked out via reason and scholarship. Turned out I was a lot more comfortable being a staid, keep-it-all-in-the-head, Presbyterian.
It was many years before I had anything like the spiritual experience I had hoped for at that late-night communion service. God does tug at the heart. The Spirit has stirred my soul and warmed, even enflamed my heart at times. But it does not happen on command, and the Spirit is as likely to surprise me as to follow the formula I expect.

But we religious people like to codify things. Sometimes we do so for good reasons such as helping newcomers discover ways to be open to God; other times it’s simply to keep things neat and under our control. For Presbyterians this has tended to be about making faith a head thing, a logical, understanding thing. For Pentecostals and others, the focus has been more on the heart. But for all, it is clear how things work, and regulars quickly learn what sort of behaviors are normative, what things signify that you are a proper person of faith.
Nothing new there. Paul is dealing with issues of what sort of faith experience is proper and marks someone as the real thing when he writes to his congregation in Corinth. The big difference for the Corinthians is that they live in a day before denominations and different worship styles. They’re the only Christian gathering in town. If you don’t like things there, you don’t have other options. And for whatever reason, the folks in Corinth not only want you to feel God’s presence, they expect you to speak in tongues to show that your faith is of much consequence.   - - - I wonder how many Corinthian Christians pretended to speak in tongues so as not to get left out.
Even though Paul is addressing behaviors many of us have never seen, much less aspire to, his words speak to just about any sort of spiritual or religious arrogance. If you imagine that the particular spiritual or religious activity that animates you is essential, says Paul, you’ve misunderstood the whole business.
Paul goes on to insist that if you can truly claim Jesus as Lord (I’m pretty sure Paul means living it rather than just mouthing the words.) then the Holy Spirit is at work in you.
And as for spiritual gifts, says Paul, don’t go thinking yours is better than someone else’s. I should add here that when Paul speaks of spiritual gifts, he is not talking about innate talents or abilities. If you are a musician, that is indeed a wonderful gift from God but not a spiritual gift, at least not unless you suddenly became musical when the Spirit came upon you. Paul is talking about gifts that arise because that the Spirit is at work in people, and these gifts are allotted for “the common good,” and not to make anyone feel spiritually mature or superior.
I wonder if Martin Luther King, Jr. had been reading Paul when he wrote these famous lines. "Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." Or as Paul puts it, “To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.”
What gifts has the Spirit bestowed on you? If you have even an inkling of faith, the Spirit is at work in you, and so the Spirit is trying to use you to play some crucial role as a part of the body of Christ. It may or may not be the gift you were hoping for or one that will get you any sort of acclaim, but it does make you great in the sense Martin Luther King uses the word. It does make you an essential part of Christ’s body that needs you to do your part to build up the beloved community and continue Christ’s ministry in the world.
____________________________________________________________________________
Each year as the Martin Luther King holiday approaches, I wonder about how I should take note of if in worship. This year as I wondered I found myself looking at various photos and videos of the Selma to Montgomery march. There were actually three marches early in 1965, with the Bloody Sunday march prompting the larger marches that followed.
When you look at the images, there are well known faces, King, John Lewis, and others. But most faces are unknown. The crowds are largely African American with lots of young people and college students. And there are average folks who were somehow stirred to join, to take big risks to help change the world and build God’s beloved community.
The Civil Rights movement could not have happened without King and Lewis and other leaders. It needed the musicians and stars who lent their support. But it could never have happened without all those students and average folks who were spurred to do their part. In fact, I wonder if they weren’t the most essential of all.
All those students and young faces in the Selma marches highlights a spiritual openness that sometimes seems more prevalent in the young. As we get older we tend to get more invested in how things are. Religious folks get invested in how their tradition understands faith to work, how it expects the Spirit to move or not move. We get encrusted in our habits and practices, in all the things we treasure and must protect, in the need for control, in the layers of skepticism and cynicism that can build up over the years.
But if, in some way, we can proclaim, “Jesus is Lord,” then the Holy Spirit is within us, the Spirit that blows where it will, the Spirit that our faith statement says inspired the prophets and apostlesgives us courage to pray without ceasing… to unmask idolatries in Church and culture… and to work with others for justice, freedom, and peace.[1]
“To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good,” writes Paul. How has the Spirit gifted you? How are we called to work together to be Christ for the world?


[1] From A Brief Statement of Faith, The Book of Confession: The Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

No comments:

Post a Comment