Monday, February 9, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Mark 9:30-41 is an interesting mix of seemingly unrelated events. But as I reflected on these verses, I was struck by Jesus' words on welcoming a child and on tolerating someone who invoked Jesus' name to heal. Both seem to show an open and welcoming pose toward others. Especially telling is the line, "Whoever is not against us is for us."

I tend to be someone who wants to do thing right, whether it be in following the rules and policies, or in getting the theology correct. But I wonder if my own preference of precision and correctness doesn't get in the way of seeing what God might be up to in someone who doesn't conform to my standards.

My prayer for the day is that God open my eyes to see beyond my own definitions of right, correct, etc. Let me see the unexpected and surprising ways that Christ's power is at work in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment