Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Psalm 42 includes the line "I say to God, my rock, "Why have you forgotten me?" It also contains a response from the psalmist. "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God."

It is hard to say how common faith struggles are among pastors, as we tend not to advertise our personal faith crises. But I suspect they are more prevalent that many would expect. However, we sometimes turn such moments into personal performance crises rather than faith ones. There must be some new program or skill that would fix things if mastered. Focused on performance, it is sometimes difficult to fit God into the conversation, either to cry out for help or to hope.

For me, I regularly need to step back from performance questions and engage in faith questions. Where do I truly put my hope? Can I trust in God, or is everything a matter of my skills and abilities, or the skills and abilities of other staff and volunteers?

First Timothy 1:8 speaks of "relying on the power of God." Rely on God's power? Rather than skills and abilities? Rather than the latest advice found in the latest book? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment