Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Today's Old Testament reading contains words of judgment that the prophet Jeremiah is called to speak against Israel. But the beginning of this prophecy looks back to earlier days. "Thus says the LORD: I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride..." There was a time when Israel and Yahweh were like young lovers, when Israel delighted in God as in nothing else.

Many of us know what it is like to "fall in love." I talk to many young couples who are in love and preparing to marry. Generally speaking they are devoted to one another and can hardly imagine life not being that way. But of course, these feelings usually wane over time. I suspect that nearly all couples experience this to some degree. And if the relationship is not tended to, intentionally renewed and revitalized, it can gradually waste away.

Most people of faith have moments when relationship with God, with Jesus, became real and significant. I had several of those moments in my life, the most significant being the flowering of faith that happened in my early to mid thirties. That experience ultimately led to seminary and my calling as pastor. But that was 17 years ago. And at times the intensity and passion of faith, of my relationship with God, seems to wane, to grow stale and dry.

In today's verses, Israel has forgotten God, but Yahweh remembers when things were different. And despite words of accusation and judgment, God's deepest desire is to renew relationship.

I like to think that I've not forgotten God, but I suspect that sometimes my actions might make it seem so to God. But God remembers. What a hopeful thought. God remembers.

(Click here to receive the Daily Readings in your email.)


No comments:

Post a Comment