Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

In today's reading from John 6:16-27, Jesus says to the crowds who have sought and found him, "Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you."

Jesus raises the interesting question of what we are looking for when we seek Jesus. My wife has a quote on our refrigerator which I don't remember exactly, but I can paraphrase it. "Stop asking God to bless what you are doing. Get involved in what God is doing. It is already blessed." I know that very often I want God to help me do what I want to do. I spend more time pleading for God's help than I do asking God what I should be doing. But over the years I have found that life seems well ordered and at peace when this is reversed, when I am more focused on discovering what God desires for me.

O God, help me to want most what you want for me.

(Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.)

1 comment: