Friday, May 1, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary


"Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Stand up and walk'?" This is Jesus' response to scribes and Pharisees who accuse him of blasphemy. Jesus has just said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven you," to a paralyzed man after his friends lowered him through an opening in the roof. That was the only way they could get through the crowds coming for healing. Jesus seems genuinely moved by their efforts, and so he forgives the man.

It strikes me as a bit odd that Jesus' first inclination is to forgive the man. Nothing in the story indicates the man needs forgiveness more than the next guy. And while Jesus does eventually heal the man, the healing remains secondary to the forgiveness.

When I think of all the things I would like to get from God, I'm not sure forgiveness is anywhere near the top of the list. I wonder what Jesus thinks I need most.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment