Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

I saw this Twitter post a few weeks ago from a person traveling in Africa. "Observation from Ethiopia. There is no correlation between material possessions and happiness. None." Most of us have probably heard similar things. The 1897 poem "Richard Corey" spoke of a refined, charming, wealthy man whom everyone envied who went home one evening and "put a bullet through his head." Simon and Garfunkel used the poem as the basis of a hit song. And even after Richard Corey is dead the chorus sings, "But I work in his factory, And I curse the life I'm living, And I curse my poverty, And I wish that I could be, Oh, I wish that I could be, Oh, I wish that I could be Richard Cory."

All of us have heard that money and possession don't buy happiness. But we don't believe it, even when Jesus tells us so. "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing."

What is it that makes life good, meaningful, fulfilling? Jesus says that it comes from letting go of our worries and striving for God's Kingdom, which I take to mean working for love, justice, peace, healing, the end of poverty, etc. Now if I could just trust Jesus enough to really believe it.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.


No comments:

Post a Comment