Friday, May 8, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

One of today's psalms, Psalm 148, is one of those Let everything praise the LORD psalms. Angels, sun, moon, stars, waters, sea monsters, hail, snow, mountains, trees, wild animals, birds, kings, princes, men, women, young, and old are all called to praise Yahweh. It is an extravagant explosion of praise, and the psalmist clearly thinks that such an extravagant explosion is natural, an obvious reaction in gratitude for all that God has done.

It struck me the other day -- I don't know if this is an original thought or if I'm simply remembering something someone else said -- that most of the things we feel proud about should instead be cause for gratitude, for thanksgiving. Proud to be an American? What did I do to become an American other than be born? Proud of my accomplishments? Aren't they largely the results of gifts I received, both those that are innate to me such as intellect and abilities, along with opportunities for education provided by parents and situation?

I don't for one second mean to denigrate the hard work of people. Who we are is always a combination of the gifts we received and what we do with them. But is seems there is a natural human tendency to take credit for our efforts without acknowledging the gifts.

John Calvin, my tradition's most significant forebear, said that the primary motivation for the Christian life is gratitude. Not fear, not desire to get something, but gratitude. I think Calvin would have thought that what we do with the gifts and opportunities handed to us is our way of saying thanks, our way of praising God.

May all that I do in some way give you praise, O God.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment