Sunday, May 17, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

This Sunday I won't be in my regular place in worship. Instead I'll be watching my daughter graduate from Boston University. (She and her classmates would greatly appreciate it if you distinguished between her school and Boston College.) And although I won't be preaching, it is interesting to hear the gospel reading for today's worship, John 15:9-17, in the context of a graduation.

Something similar is happening with the disciples when Jesus speaks to them shortly before his arrest. He tells them to abide in him, to love one another, and to bear much fruit. The disciples are graduating from their time of training with Jesus, but modern day grads would do well to abide in Jesus, to love one another, and to bear fruit.

I think that the very lowest level of education is to learn to do something. And some people graduate from college having learned only this, even if it is how to do something difficult and complicated. I'm much more impressed by education through which people have gained a sense of meaning and purpose. And when I read an article about how human technology has outpaced human ethics, I wonder what level of education has brought us there.

"As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love... This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you... You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last." Jesus has taught his disciples much, but most of all, he wants them to stay connected and grounded in his love and his purpose for their lives. Not bad advice for grads, or for all the rest of us.

Click here to see today's readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment