Thursday, May 21, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Today's gospel reading comes from the ending of Matthew, the story of what is often called "The Great Commission." The disciples, as instructed by the women who found the empty tomb on Easter, have gone to Galilee where they meet the risen Jesus. "When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted." Jesus then proceeds to send them out to make disciples of all peoples.

When I was in seminary, one of the first big papers I had to write was on this passage, and I had to provide my own translation of it from the original Greek. My version of the above verse was, "When they saw him, they worshiped him; but they doubted." Now I would never claim to be a Greek scholar, but the
person who graded my paper, noted New Testament scholar, Jack Kingsbury, did not object to this translation. And it is what the Greek literally says.

I am taken by the notion that all the disciples worshiped but also doubted. I'm even more taken by the fact that Jesus commissions these folks anyway. I've talked with many in the church who seem to view faith as the absence of doubt. But here Jesus sends out the disciples to make new disciples by baptizing and teaching, even though they apparently still have doubts of their own.

Presbyterian minister and writer Frederick Buechner says that doubt is "the ants in the pants of faith." Maybe we would all do well to embrace our doubts a bit more. After all, we do live in world where religious certainties lead to all sorts of hate, violence, and war in the name of God, even in the name of the God who in Jesus spoke of loving enemies and forgiving those who killed him.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment