Thursday, May 7, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Two very different newspaper columns caught my attention this morning. In the first, Miami Herald columnist Leonard Pitts, Jr. wrote about how people of faith were more likely to support torturing terror suspects than those with no religious affiliation. And he noted how non-Christians are often the ones who take hard or dangerous stands rooted in moral principle while many Christians choose to remain silent. Think German Christians during the Holocaust, or white, Southern Christians during the Civil Rights era.

Now sometimes those of us in the more liberal parts of the Christian fold want to claim that Pitts' criticisms fall harder on more conservative Christians. (White, evangelical Christians were the group with the highest level of support for torture.) But if we liberals fare better by some measures, on others we do not. We often want to trumpet how inclusive we are, how open to others of differing viewpoints, and what lovers of diversity we are. But I was reminded of how hypocritical we can be about this by -- of all things --
Rob Oller's sports column in today's Columbus Dispatch. He wrote, "It is an irony of our age: Those who preach tolerance show intolerance toward those they deem to be not tolerant enough." I have often observed a similar behavior amongst us liberal pastors. When we speak of being inclusive, that inclusiveness often extends in only one direction, to those more liberal than ourselves.

In today's reading from Luke 6, Jesus says, "Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, 'Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite... Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I tell you?"

Why is it that many of us find it so easy to take Jesus' name, to call ourselves Christians, but also find it so easy to ignore what Jesus says to us? Lord, help me see myself as I truly am. And help me to become what you would have me be.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment