Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Musings on the Daily Lectionary

Following the successful and joyful return of the 70, Jesus "rejoiced in the Holy Spirit," saying, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will."

Hidden from the wise and intelligent... The sentiment Jesus expresses is hardly unique. It is a regular occurrence in both Old and New Testament. It's not as though I just noticed that, but I have found such statements more striking lately. I'm especially struck by their contrast with my Presbyterian tradition, so enamored of education and learning.

Now I have no real plans to abandon my tradition's emphasis on studying Scripture and seeking to discern God's will through it. After all, my tradition insists that the Bible becomes God's word to us only through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and that refers to the Spirit's work both in inspiring the biblical writers and helping me hear what God wants me to hear, to speak anew and afresh from ancient texts.

But in practice I wonder how often I and others make much room for the Spirit's work. Beyond what I can learn by studying a passage's context, by utilizing my rudimentary proficiency at Greek or Hebrew, by consulting commentaries from eminent scholars, where do I open myself to God's revealing, that gracious outpouring granted to infants and denied the wise and intelligent?

God, open my heart to what you would reveal.

Click here to learn more about the Daily Lectionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment